Friday, October 12, 2007

Spiced Persian Lime Brew


Bone-chilling rainy evenings have arrived in the Bay Area, and here's our latest defense. Dried Persian limes are a thrilling addition to your pantry and can be found in Middle Eastern grocery stores--they're hard as a rock, filled with delicious black pulp, and have a smokier and more complex flavor than fresh lime. Sure, you could buy the Numi Dry Desert Lime tea for an arm and a leg...or you could make this and let your DIY pride keep you warm at night.

Hasn't Anyone Ever Heard of Central Heating?

2 dried Persian limes
a 2-inch hunk of ginger, peeled and sliced in thirds
8 green cardamom pods
6 cups water
2-3 teaspoons honey or agave, to taste

If I Put On Any More Layers, I'll Be Wearing My Whole Closet

Position limes on a cutting board and smash with a jar or a hammer until they break open.


And while you're smashing things, whack the cardamom pods so they open just a little. Place lime halves, ginger, cardamom and water in a medium-sized saucepan. Bring to a boil, then simmer gently for about 20-30 minutes, until tea is dark and deeply flavored. Strain, sweeten & drink.




6 comments:

Sarah-the-Yente said...

That sounds... amazing.

I Heart Kale said...

Thanks Sarah! This would probably be even more useful for you, since you live somewhere actually cold (we're just turning into wusses).

Tanya said...

Man..... I wish I could source those, they look fabulous.
DC's kind of barren when it comes to ethnic groceries, though, everything's out in the suburbs.

I Heart Kale said...

Tanya (and anyone else who wants them), you can buy dried Persian limes on the Internet (or in person at their NYC store) from Kalustyan's:
http://www.kalustyans.com/catalog.asp?menucategory_id=64&category_id=161&currpage=25

Anonymous said...

Just found this recipe after doing a search for dried limes. Looks amazing. Recently discovered the Numi tea ("numi" means "dried desert lime") you reference and absolutely loved the flavor. So familiar - finally remembered it reminded me of Indian lime pickle (savory chutney). I'm in Berkeley, too. Love Lhasa Kharnak for spices, but where do you get your dried limes? Thanks in advance! -Naomi

I Heart Kale said...

Naomi, we get our dried limes at that Middle Eastern grocery store on San Pablo, between University and Allston (I don't think I've ever known the name...)