Monday, June 2, 2008

Potato and Kale Casserole


Operation Kale Binge is on track: we have consumed three and a half bunches of kale in three days! Mostly, we've been just having an extra-large portion of Wheeler greens along with whatever else we were planning to eat, but we've also generated some as-yet-unblogged recipes, like this filling, savory dish. It's loosely based on a recipe for "Delicious Winter Casserole" that came with our CSA newsletter a few years ago, but that one was mostly about using up red daikon, which isn't a concern in June, so we've pared it down to just thinly-sliced potatoes, some delicious fat, pepper, kale and parmesan cheese.

We sliced the potatoes extremely thinly on our mandoline, so this cooked up in less than an hour. If you're slicing them on your own and they're a little thicker, just cook for longer after you take the foil off (in our pre-mandoline days, we needed about half an hour covered and half an hour uncovered).


3 large red waxy potatoes, very thinly sliced
4 tablespoons melted salted butter
10 leaves kale (the curly-edged green or purple kinds are good here), washed, stemmed and finely chopped
freshly ground black pepper
5 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 375. In a large bowl, drizzle melted butter over the potatoes and mix well with your hands, making sure each slice is coated. Grease a large cast-iron skillet and arrange a layer of potatoes on the bottom. Top with kale, black pepper and 1/3 of the parmesan cheese. Repeat until you run out of kale, then top with a final layer of potatoes and a sprinkling of parmesan. Cover skillet with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes, then remove foil and bake for another 15-30 minutes, until potatoes are cooked through.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Loves me some kale and potatoes - this looks great!

Anonymous said...

I tried this dish last night and our family loved it!

I Heart Kale said...

Yay! Glad to hear it.

Steph said...

I have this bookmarked and this is my second summer coming back to this recipe... simple, yet yummy! Thanks.

Kristen said...

I'm going to try this casserole...I had something similar once and it was GOOD and this recipe sounds delish.

Oh also...I shared a link to it here:
http://theenchantedtree.blogspot.com/2011/06/eat-more-kale-artist-feature-and.html

....thought you might like to know...

Anonymous said...

I'm making this tonight, it's going to be great. I substituted half the butter with organic unfiltered olive oil since we have so much dairy waiting to be eaten in our fridge. I think I used extra cheese to cancel that out.;) I'm the same anonymous who asked about the water in your okra sambhar.

Do you really not have any 2011 recipes, or is something missing? I don't recall the black bean tortilla being your most recent one.

I Heart Kale said...

Hi there,

Hope you enjoyed the casserole!

Indeed, no posts since the enfrijoladas--too busy with our baby :)